COURSE REGISTRATION INFORMATION –
- Jan 28 – 31: School counselors will be in Sophomore religion classrooms to do presentations for Junior course registration.
- Feb 3 – 7: Sophomores have this week to schedule their one-on-one meeting with their school counselor for junior course registration. Students will schedule their counselor appointments online via a link provided to them during classroom presentations.
- February 3-April 3: Juniors have this time-frame for college counselor one-on-one meetings. Student’s Counselor Survey and Parent Survey are due by the time they have their one-on-one counselor meeting.
- May 1: Deadline for Teacher Letters of Recommendation actions (ask in person, officially request in Naviance, complete teacher survey).
STUDY BUDDY –
CALIFORNIA BOYS STATE –
The Poway American Legion Post 479 is seeking qualified young men to attend the upcoming American Legion Boys State to be held June 20 – 27, 2020. It will take place on the campus of CSU Sacramento. This is a program based on exposing our youth to the duties, rights, and responsibilities of American citizenship and will be structured around the California State Constitution. An overview of the program can be viewed at California Boys State. Interested candidates must be Juniors with at least one semester remaining in their Senior year after completion of the 2020 session. They will be required to supply a brief bio/resume along with a short essay on why they would like to attend Boys State and what they hope to achieve from the experience. This application should be forwarded to Willis Rief no later than February 18th. Interviews will be conducted by Officers of the Poway American Legion Post in March. Three (3) delegates and one alternate will be chosen among the candidates. Please direct all questions to Willis Rief, Poway Post 479, 619-743-1620 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAT PRACTICE –
Interested in free, personalized Official SAT Practice? Create a Khan Academy account and link it to your College Board account. Agree to share your PSAT/NMSQT scores with Khan Academy and they will create a customized SAT study plan to help you in the areas you need to practice the most. To learn more about this offer, please visit the College Board website.
BEST OF THE WEST TOUR –
Select PAC-12 institutions will host joint information sessions for prospective students and families. Hear information about admissions, scholarships, and student life, as well as unique opportunities available to students from multiple universities all in one place! The program will conclude with a mini-college fair where students can ask additional questions to each university.
- Arizona State University
- Oregon State University
- University of Arizona
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Oregon
- University of Utah
- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- Date: Monday, February 10, 2020
- Time: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. (Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m.)
- Location: St. Augustine High School, 3266 Nutmeg St., San Diego, CA 92104
- RSVP: Best of the West Student Night
Drive2Life: PSA Contest About Seat Belt Safety
- Description: Drive2Life is running a Public Service Announcement Contest about seat belt safety
- Award: $1,000 and a trip to NYC
- Deadline: February 4, 2020
- Application: https://www.scholastic.com/drive2life/
Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Description: The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation is the Nation’s oldest and largest provider of need-based scholarships to military families.
- Award: Scholarship awards are $1,500, $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, or $10,000 per academic year
- Deadline: March 3, 2020
- Application: https://www.mcsf.org/apply/
YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (YLA) –
Plan International USA is now recruiting for its 2020 Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) taking place in Washington D.C. July 20 – 23rd, 2020. The program will be held at the Catholic University of America and is open to US-based youth who are currently in 8th grade – 11th grade.
The entire fee for participation is $100. This fee includes food, housing, activity costs, and transportation during the week. Participants will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from Washington, D.C. at the beginning and end of the YLA. Financial aid is available to those who are eligible.