DRESS AND APPEARANCE FOR 2021-2022
At Cathedral Catholic High School, the dress code reflects the Catholic values we strive to instill within our students: modesty, unity, respect for others, and positive self-worth. Research supports CCHS’s belief that a student’s appearance has a direct effect on his/her attitude and behavior. In the larger scope of preparing our students for their future, the dress code is designed to teach students that different types of dress are appropriate for different settings. The dress code has been established so students understand that their manner of dress should be appropriate to the serious nature of academic study and promote the dignity and self-respect worthy of each student.
Every student must purchase their official CCHS polo shirts and outerwear at the school’s student store or at one of the used clothing sales. All other clothing options may be purchased at the family’s store-of-choice but must adhere to the following dress code guidelines:
GENERAL CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS
From 7:50 am till the final bell, it is a student’s responsibility to be in dress code.
- All clothing must be neat, clean, and free from tears, cuts, freys, and holes.
- Shirts, shorts, and pants should fit comfortably without being form-fitting or too baggy.
- Shirts must be long enough to cover the midriff-area, even when arms are raised above a student’s head. Students may not tie off or cut their shirts.
- Undershirts may not have brands, logos, or a design deemed inappropriate by administration. Outerwear may not be worn as an undershirt.
- Proper undergarments must be worn at all times.
- Altering of any garment that detracts from the original integrity of the garment is not allowed (e.g. hemming shorts to inappropriate lengths or cutting/tearing clothes).
- Students must wear authorized attire during P.E. The P.E. attire cannot be worn as Spirit Attire. Students may not be in P.E. attire outside the P.E. areas.
- A CCHS polo must be worn under all outerwear.
- Boys may not wear makeup or earrings during any time they are on campus.
- Visible tattoos are not allowed.
- Dress code accommodations due to injury/surgery must be cleared by the Health Office before attending class.
- Until further notice, Cathedral Catholic High School will require masks, including gaiters, on campus and follow the recommendations of the CDC on the use of cloth masks. Please read more about the mask policy here.
Pants/Shorts– Boys and girls may choose the brand of pants/shorts as long as they meet the following guidelines:
- Made of khaki, chino, or dress slacks (pants/capris only) material. Hybrid khaki material is allowed. Denim pants are only allowed on spirit dress days.
- Maximum of two pockets in front and back, no side/cargo/or hidden pockets
- Must be worn at the waistline, and shorts must be no shorter than 3” from the top of the knee when standing–this will be strictly enforced.
- Pants/shorts may only be black, navy blue, or khaki in color. Additionally, all shorts and pants must have a button or snap enclosure with a finished hem. No drawstring, sweats, leggings, athletic wear, elastic hems, joggers or jeggings/yoga pants allowed.
Outerwear – All outerwear is considered part of the dress code requirements. The only sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets allowed on campus at any time must be purchased at the CCHS student store or as part of authorized spirit wear provided in participation on an athletic/academic team or club. Seniors may earn the privilege to wear college outerwear. This is an earned right and does not begin at the start of the school year. College shirts and other clothing are not allowed.
Shoes – Only leather or leather-like closed-toe dress shoes or tennis shoes are acceptable; no Uggs, boots, or slippers. Heels must be no higher than 2”. All shoes must have a back strap. Shoes must be worn as designed, including wearing the back of the shoe around the heel of the foot.
Socks – Students’ socks must not contain any image/words deemed inappropriate by administration. Girls may wear hosiery as an alternative to socks, but they must be a solid material and solid color with no pattern. Hosiery may not be bright or fluorescent colored, sparkling, or fishnet. All socks must be a matching pair.
Hair – Hair must be neat and well groomed. No radical cut, style, or color is acceptable. For boys, hair may not extend below the top of the collar or more than 2” out from the scalp. Boys may not have ponytails or dreads. No facial hair is allowed. If boys are unshaven, they will be required to shave before attending class on the next school day.
Hats – No hats, beanies, beanie caps, durags, or bandanas are allowed on campus during the school day without prior consent from the dean of students.
Jewelry – Students may wear bracelets, up to two appropriately placed modest necklaces and two rings per hand. Girls may wear up to 3 earrings per ear. No other jewelry is allowed on campus. Students with nose rings will have to remove the nose ring before being allowed to return the next school day.
Belts – All boys are required to wear a belt on dress up days. Belts must be leather/canvas dress belts in good condition. Belts must be worn through belt loops. Buckles must be appropriate.
Rainy Day Attire – On rainy days, students may wear water- repellent boots (no Uggs). All outerwear must be purchased from the student store or as part of an approved athletic spirit pack. Flannel jackets, ponchos, or other non-CCHS sweatshirts/jackets are not allowed.
Blankets – Blankets are not allowed on campus without prior permission from the Dean of Students office.
SPECIFIC DRESS CODE ATTIRE
Regular Dress Attire
Boys: Approved CCHS polo shirt, pants or shorts and proper footwear. Pants/shorts may only be black, navy blue, or khaki in color. All clothing must meet above general guidelines. Tennis shoes and leather or leather-like dress shoes are the ONLY acceptable footwear. Sweatshirts and outerwear must be CCHS sponsored. No drawstring, sweats, leggings, athletic wear, or jeggings/yoga pants allowed.
Girls: Approved CCHS polo shirt, pants/capris/slacks or shorts and proper footwear. Pants/shorts/capris may only be black, navy blue, or khaki in color. All clothing must meet above general guidelines. Tennis shoes and leather or leather-like dress shoes are the ONLY acceptable footwear. Sweatshirts and outerwear must be CCHS sponsored. No drawstring, sweats, leggings, athletic wear, or jeggings/yoga pants allowed.
Dress-up Day Attire (Liturgies and Special Events)
During liturgies, students may not wear jackets or sweatshirts of any kind unless given specific administrative approval for occasions such as rain. Required dress for these days will consist of the following:
Boys: Solid white, button-down, collared dress shirt with tie for the entire school day. Shirts must be without decor of any kind and must remain tucked in for the entire school day. Undershirts worn must be white and may not have any logo, design, or writing of any kind. School approved pants are to be worn on dress-up days, as well as socks and a belt. Shoes must meet the school’s general shoe guidelines. CCHS cardigan/pullovers purchased from the student store are the only approved outerwear for liturgy.
Girls: Solid white, button-down, collared dress shirt. Shirt must be without decor of any kind. Undershirts worn must be white or skin-tone and may not have any logo, design, or writing of any kind. School approved pants/capris are to be worn on dress-up days. Shoes must meet the school’s general shoe guidelines. CCHS cardigan/pullovers purchased from the student store are the only approved outerwear for liturgy.
Spirit Dress Attire
Spirit Dress is allowed on the last day of the week (except if the last day of the week is a liturgy day) and on designated days to bolster school spirit. Students may wear the regular uniform or spirit day dress attire. Spirit day attire consists of a CCHS-sponsored T-shirt or polo shirt and solid blue/black jeans. Faded black and grey jeans nor CIF or team tournament shirts are not allowed. Jeans must be free from holes, tears, freys, or rips and have a finished hem. No other color jeans are acceptable and jean shorts may not be worn. Additionally, students may not wear jeggings, overalls, coveralls, cargo pants, sweatpants, or shorts.
UNIFORM ENFORCEMENT POLICY
Any student in violation of the dress code is subject to the following:
- Students are sent to the Dean of Students Office and all efforts will be made to place students in proper dress attire.
- Non-CCHS approved clothing will be confiscated by the Dean of Students Office. Confiscated clothing cannot be picked until the end of the school day. CCHS is not responsible for any confiscated items.
- Parents/Guardians may be called to bring proper garments.
- Response to a uniform violation(s): Per Semester
1st and 2nd Offense = Notification will be sent to student and parent/guardian
3rd Offense = Meeting with dean of students to discuss the violations and consequences of future violations
4th Offense = Student will be removed from class until a parent/legal guardian is able to get their student into compliance. CCHS will no longer provide loaner clothes.
5th Offense = Meeting between student, parent/guardian, and the dean of students to discuss the student’s future at CCHS.
6th Offense = Meeting with student, dean of students, and principal
***The administration reserves the right to hold students out of class for flagrant or repeated violation of the dress code.