CCHS believes that a student’s appearance has a direct effect on his/her attitude and behavior. The Dress Code has been designed so students understand that their manner of dress should be appropriate to the serious nature of academic study and promote the dignity and self-respect worthy of each student. All grade levels must purchase their uniforms at Dennis Uniforms. Polo shirts, sweaters, and sweatshirts will also be available at the CCHS Student Store. Only CCHS logo attire is permitted to be worn.
4217 Ponderosa Ave. Suite.D
San Diego, CA 92123
The Cathedral Catholic High School selections are the only allowed dress code items to be worn from Dennis. Contact the Dean of Student’s Office for more information.
Regular Dress Attire
Boys: CCHS polo shirt, Dennis pants or shorts, belt, and socks. Tennis shoes and leather or leather-like dress shoes are the ONLY acceptable footwear. Sweatshirts and outwear must be CCHS sponsored.
Girls: CCHS polo shirt and Dennis skirt, pants, shorts, or skorts. Tennis shoes and leather or leather-like close-toe dress shoes are the ONLY acceptable footwear. Sweatshirts and outwear must be CCHS sponsored.
Spirit Day Attire
Spirit Dress is allowed on the last day of the week (except if the last day of the week is a liturgy day) and on designated days to bolster school spirit. Students may wear the regular uniform or spirit day dress attire. Spirit day attire consists of a CCHS-sponsored T-shirt or polo shirt and blue jeans. No other color jeans are acceptable and jean shorts may not be worn. Additionally, students may not wear jeggings, “skinny jeans”, overalls, coveralls, cargo pants, or denim skirts.
Dress-Up Day Attire
Cathedral Catholic High School has implemented Dress-Up Attire for Liturgies and special events. Required dress for these days will consist of the following:
Boys Dress-Up Day Attire
Solid white, short or long sleeved, button-down, collared dress shirt with tie. Shirt must be without decor of any kind. Undershirts worn under dress shirts must be white and may not have any logo, design, or writing of any kind. Uniform pants are to be worn on dress-up day. Socks, dress shoes, and belts are required. Dress shoes must be solid black or brown leather or leather-like material. Tennis shoes and canvas/suede material shoes are unacceptable e.g., Tom’s, Sanuk’s, and moccasin/slipper type shoes.
Girls Dress-Up Day Attire
Solid white, short or long sleeved, button-down, collared dress shirt. Shirt must be without decor of any kind. Undershirts worn under dress shirts must be white or skin-tone and may not have any logo, design, or writing of any kind. Only a uniform skirt/skort, no shorter than three inches above the middle of the knee, is to be worn on Dress-Up day. Leather or leather-like close-toe dress shoes are required and they must have a heel strap. Tennis shoes and canvas/suede material shoes are unacceptable e.g., Tom’s, Sanuk’s, and moccasin/slipper type shoes.
General Clothing Requirements
From the time a student appears on campus, it is his/her responsibility to be in dress code.
- All clothing must be neat, clean, and free from tears, cuts, and holes.
- Junior sizes must be purchased from Dennis. Child sizes are not allowed as they will not meet length requirements.
- Shirts and pants cannot be tight or form fitting.
- Pants cannot be baggy or sag.
- Shirts may not be excessively long or baggy.
- Midriffs may not be exposed. Any shirts or tops that show the midriff when arms are raised above the head are prohibited.
- Undershirts may not extend below the uniform shirt. Long-sleeve undershirts worn on cold days must be solid color and free from logos, writing, designs, and hoods.
- Proper undergarments must be worn at all times.
- All shorts and skirts must not be shorter than three inches from the middle of the knee. Any alterations to the length of the skirts and shorts must conform to these guidelines.
- Altering of any garment that detracts from the original integrity of the garment is not allowed.
- Students must wear authorized attire during P.E. The P.E. attire cannot be worn as Spirit Attire.
- Low rise pants may not be worn.
- A CCHS polo must be worn under sweatshirts, jackets, and sweaters. Sweatshirts may not be worn under shirts.
- Boys may not wear makeup.
- The only piercings that girls are allowed are in the ear. Boys may not wear earrings. Plugs, spacers, and ear gauging are never allowed. Students may not wear band-aides, plastic spacers, sticks, etc. to conceal piercings.
- Visible tattoos are not allowed.
Unacceptable dress code items will be confiscated and turned in to the Dean’s Office and consequences will be issued. The item(s) must be picked up by the student by the end of the business day. CCHS is not responsible for any items left overnight. Items not picked up by the end of the semester will be donated to charity.
All outerwear is considered part of the uniform. The only sweaters, sweatshirts, and jackets allowed on campus at anytime must be purchased at Dennis or the CCHS student store.
- Shoes – Only leather or leather-like close-toe dress shoes or tennis shoes are acceptable. High heels must be of a modest height. All shoes must have a back strap. Please note specific shoe requirement for dress up days.
- Socks – Boys must wear socks at all times. Girls’ hosiery must be a solid material and solid color with no pattern and may not be bright or fluorescent colored, sparkling, or fishnet. Leggings or sweats are not allowed. All socks must be a matching pair.
- Hair – Hair must be neat and well groomed. No radical cut or style is acceptable; no coloring/bleaching of any kind is allowed. For boys, hair may not extend below the top of the collar or below the eyebrows and boys may not have ponytails, braids, or hair accessories. No facial hair is allowed. Boys must be clean-shaven at all times and sideburns may not extend below mid ear length. If students are unshaven, they will be required to shave immediately, and consequences will be issued.
- Hats – No hats, beanies, beanie caps or bandanas are allowed on campus during the school day.
- Jewelry – Students may not wear excessive, or unusually placed, pieces of jewelry such as tongue rings/studs, nose rings/studs and other body piercings. No wallet chains, chains of any kind, spikes, etc., are allowed on campus. Boys may not wear earrings at anytime on campus or at school events. Earrings will be confiscated and given to the Dean of Students. Girls may not wear more than three earrings per ear and two rings per hand. Non-dress code items worn will be confiscated, and the student may pick up the item at the end of the school day.
- Belts – All boys are required to wear a belt with their pants and shorts. Belts must be leather/canvas dress belts in good condition. Belts must be worn through belt loops. Buckles must be appropriate.
- Rainy Day Attire – On rainy days only, students may wear water-resistant raincoats and galoshes. Flannel jackets, ponchos, jackets or non-CCHS sweatshirts are not allowed.
Uniform Enforcement Policy
Any student in violation of the dress code is subject to the following:
- Student is sent to the Dean’s Office.
- Parents/Guardians may be called to bring proper garments.
- The following consequences will be issued:
- 1st and 2nd Offense: 45-minute after school detention.
- 3rd Offense: 2-hour Saturday Detention.
- 4th Offense: 4-hour Saturday Detention.
- 5th Offense: 1 day in-school suspension, referral and 1 week of extra/co-curricular ineligibility.
The administration reserves the right to hold students out of class for flagrant or repeated violation of the dress code.