Health Office

Kate Pe R.N.
(858) 523-4000 Ext. 1126

Office Hours and Location

The nurse’s office is open from 7:15 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. during regularly scheduled school days. The office is located adjacent to the Dean’s Office in the Student Services Building. The private entrance to the nurse’s office should be accessed from the Attendance Office in the Student Services Building.

Illness at Home

Students are advised to stay home if suffering from active illness in order to protect other students and staff from possible disease transmission. Students should remain at home until their illness has resolved, even if examinations will be missed as a result of illness.

Do not come to school simply to complete an examination with the intention of leaving early because of illness. If a student is absent for three consecutive days it is mandatory that he/she presents a physician’s note indicating that the student has been seen and is safe to return to school. This will allow the student to take the absences as excused, and more importantly, reassure the school community that we are making every effort to minimize the transmission of treatable contagious diseases.

Parents may report an absence to:
Attendance Office
(858) 523-4000 Ext. 1128

Parents are required to report all confirmed or suspected
contagious diseases to the school nurse.

Illness/Injury at School

When a student becomes ill or injured during class, a pass to the Health Office must be obtained from the current teacher. Students should not call home prior to seeing the nurse. Our health assistant or nurse will call the parent and issue a passport authorizing the student to leave the campus if necessary. Leaving campus without an authorized passport is considered truancy.

Students should report any injuries sustained during a school-related event as soon as possible to the Health Office. In the case of an athletic-related injury, students should report directly to the Athletic Trainer.

Contact the Athletic Trainer’s:
(858) 523-4000 Ext. 1121

It should be noted that the student’s family health insurance plan is the primary coverage for school-related illness and injuries. Students may receive partial health coverage (with certain limitations and exclusions) under the school’s medical insurance plan for charges not covered by the family’s health insurance plan. Insurance forms are available from the Health Office or the Athletic Trainer.

Vision and Hearing Testing

Vision and hearing tests are typically conducted once throughout the four years of high school. This is usually performed during the sophomore year, however, additional testing may be requested at any time by the student’s parent or teacher. Parents will be notified if test results indicate that additional follow-up care is necessary by your primary care physician.

Doctor Appointments

It is recommended that doctor appointments be scheduled outside of school hours. If a student must see a doctor during school hours, a parent must notify the Attendance Office in advance with exact appointment times, anticipated period of absence, and time of return to school. An authorized passport must be obtained from the Attendance Office before leaving campus. An admit slip is issued upon return after any absence from class.

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions

Please contact the Health Office at


All medications, including over-the-counter and prescribed drugs, must be kept in the Health Office. Students are not allowed to carry or store medications of any kind.

Students requiring any daily or long-term medications that need to be taken during school hours must have a form completed by a parent and the physician requesting and granting permission for administration by the nurse.

Parent/Physician Medication Form

Medications must be sent to the school in the original container and will be stored in a locked cabinet in the health office. All medications must be kept with the nurse; special exceptions are made on an individual basis. For instance, students diagnosed with asthma and requiring inhaler treatment may be allowed to carry their inhaler. Special permission for this is granted when the parent and physician complete the appropriate supplemental form, which will be maintained on file in the Health Office. Permission forms for this purpose may be requested from the Health Office.

The nurse maintains a supply of the following OTC medications in the event of absolute necessity: Advil, Tylenol, Benadryl for bee stings, allergic reaction, etc., allergy eye drops, Betadine Antiseptic, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Blistex/Orabase. CCHS protocol mandates that alternative measures be employed before using one of the listed OTC medications. Every effort is made to alleviate symptoms with alternatives such as: heat/ice, rest, cough drops, hydration, etc. In the event that an OTC medication is necessary, the nurse will check to see if the parent/guardian has signed the permission area on the Emergency Health Information card. If this has been signed every effort will be made to contact the parent/guardian to inform them of the student’s situation and the recommendation for an OTC medication. If the parent is unavailable, a note will be sent home with the student stating the OTC medication given and the time.


Required Health Forms

The CCHS Admission Physical and Athletic Release Form must be completed for all students entering the school.

Click here to fill out the forms online.
You must enter your students ID number and password.

This includes transfer students as well as incoming freshmen. A licensed California physician must complete the CCHS Admission Physical and Medical Release. A parent or a guardian must complete the Medical History Questionnaire section of this release form. Student Health Form, along with the student’s immunization records, must be sent to the school nurse prior to the first day of school. Before children under age 18 years may be admitted to school, California law requires that an immunization record be presented to the attending school. Information on immunization requirements is available in the Nurse’s Office.

The entrance physical typically fulfills the requirement for athletic participation during that academic year (if completed after June 6 of the same year). Participation in sports requires an annual physical. Students not participating in sports need to complete this form only once (freshman year or when transferring in).