CASE STUDIES NIGHT FOR JUNIORS AND PARENTS/GUARDIANS –
The Case Study college night is an engaging and effective way to discuss the college application process and is commonly used in California. College representatives will lead parents and students through a mock admission committee of four cases. The exercise will point out the intricacies of the process and the importance of assembling a strong application. Guests will gain insight and understanding as to what is valued in the application. The Case Study program concludes with a mini college fair.
- Date: March 4, 2020
- Time: 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.; check-in starts at 5:45 p.m.
- Location: Academic Center
- RSVP: Case Studies for Juniors and Parents/Guardians Sign-Up Form
- Deadline: March 1, 2020
Case Studies Reading Material:
- Examining the Applicant’s File
- Fictitious University Profile
- Admissions FAQ’s
- Candidate Review Form
- Case 1: Henry Watanabe
- Case 2: Marcela Castillo
- Case 3: Dorri Johnson
GAP YEAR FAIR –
Go Overseas is hosting a Gap Year Fair in San Diego this month. Students, parents, and educators can connect with gap year program providers from all over the world. Attendees can expect to meet with 30-60 different gap year and summer opportunities program representatives. Fairs are free and open to the public, but pre-registration is highly recommended.
- Date: Thursday, February 20, 2020
- Time: 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Location: La Jolla High School, 750 Nautilus Street, La Jolla, CA 92037
- Registration: GO Gap Year Fair
WECARE PRESENTS –
Parents are invited to attend “Parenting the iGeneration,” a talk given by Dr. Jean Twenge, Professor of Psychology at San Diego State University and researcher. An author of more than 140 scientific publications and books, Dr. Twenge will speak on the topic of how to parent the current generation of connected kids.
- Date: Tuesday, March 3, 2020
- Time: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
- Location: Warren Walker Middle School (Morning) and The Bishop’s School (Evening)
- Registration is not required.
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES –
Youth Leadership Academy
Plan International USA is now recruiting for its 2020 Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) taking place in Washington D.C. July 20 – 23rd, 2020. The program will be held at the Catholic University of America and is open to US-based youth who are currently in 8th grade – 11th grade.
The entire fee for participation is $100. This fee includes food, housing, activity costs, and transportation during the week. Participants will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to and from Washington, D.C. at the beginning and end of the YLA. Financial aid is available to those who are eligible.
Youth Leadership Council
Make-A-Wish® San Diego now offers a Youth Leadership Council, a leadership and development opportunity available to youth in San Diego and Imperial Counties. Members selected for the Youth Leadership Council will learn about philanthropy by volunteering with Make-A-Wish San Diego. It’s the goal of the Youth Leadership Council to encourage youth to give back to children with critical illnesses right in their community while making new friends and having fun.
- Be a junior or senior (students can begin applying as sophomores)
- Be passionate about helping kids with critical illnesses
- Be able to attend monthly meetings
- Commit to a one-year term on the council and participate in a number of planned activities within that period of time
- Plan one individual and one group fundraiser with YLC
- Complete an interview and two-our orientation
- Have a committed adult advisor (teacher or student council advisor) willing to help during the term and attend at least one meeting a year
Interested students should visit the Make-A-Wish San Diego website to download the application. The deadline to apply is February 24, 2020.
CALIFORNIA BOYS STATE –
The Poway American Legion Post 479 is seeking qualified young men to attend the upcoming American Legion Boys State to be held June 20 – 27, 2020. It will take place on the campus of CSU Sacramento. This is a program based on exposing our youth to the duties, rights, and responsibilities of American citizenship and will be structured around the California State Constitution. An overview of the program can be viewed at California Boys State. Interested candidates must be Juniors with at least one semester remaining in their Senior year after completion of the 2020 session. They will be required to supply a brief bio/resume along with a short essay on why they would like to attend Boys State and what they hope to achieve from the experience. This application should be forwarded to Willis Rief no later than February 18th. Interviews will be conducted by Officers of the Poway American Legion Post in March. Three (3) delegates and one alternate will be chosen among the candidates. Please direct all questions to Willis Rief, Poway Post 479, 619-743-1620 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAT PRACTICE –
Interested in free, personalized Official SAT Practice? Create a Khan Academy account and link it to your College Board account. Agree to share your PSAT/NMSQT scores with Khan Academy and they will create a customized SAT study plan to help you in the areas you need to practice the most. To learn more about this offer, please visit the College Board website.
BEST OF THE WEST TOUR –
Select PAC-12 institutions will host joint information sessions for prospective students and families. Hear information about admissions, scholarships, and student life, as well as unique opportunities available to students from multiple universities all in one place! The program will conclude with a mini-college fair where students can ask additional questions to each university.
- Arizona State University
- Oregon State University
- University of Arizona
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Oregon
- University of Utah
- University of Washington
- Washington State University
- Date: Monday, February 10, 2020
- Time: 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. (Check-in begins at 6:30 p.m.)
- Location: St. Augustine High School, 3266 Nutmeg St., San Diego, CA 92104
- RSVP: Best of the West Student Night
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM –
The Marine Technology Society (MTS) Program is a 6-week summer experience for motivated high school students, hosted by one of MTS’s corporate sponsors. Students will be provided with a hands-on science/technology experience, building important scientific, technical and employment skills under the direction of a workplace mentor.
- Be at least 16 years old on July 1, 2020
- Be a rising junior or senior
- Have a 3.5 GPA or better
- Have transportation
Beverage Industry College Scholarship Program
- Description: California students who have a parent or grandparents employed with a company that holds a valid California beverage alcohol license. The list includes restaurants, retail and wholesale grocery establishments, convenience stores, drug stores, airlines, wineries, breweries, etc. Student employment or employment by other family members does not qualify.
- Award: $3,000 – $6,000
- Deadline: February 15, 2020
- Application: https://www.christermon.com/scholarship-program/applications/#14
The City of San Diego Public Works/ACEC Engineering Scholarship
- Description: San Diego County high school seniors who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering or land surveying
- Award: $2,000
- Deadline: January 31, 2020
- Application: PW/ACEC Application
Helix Water District Scholarship
- Description: High school seniors who reside in the Helix Water District are eligible to apply to this scholarship award
- Award: $1,000
- Deadline: February 28, 2020
- Application: https://hwd.com/?s=scholarship
Sons of Italy Grand Lodge of California Scholarship
- Description: Several scholarships are available for high school seniors of Italian descent
- Award: Not listed
- Deadline: March 1, 2020
- Application: http://www.osiaca.org/Portals/20/Academic%20Scholarship%20Fillable.pdf
Banatao Family Filipino American Education Fund
- Description: Five renewable scholarships to San Diego County high school seniors of at least 50% Filipino heritage who are seeking careers in engineering, physical, computer or environmental sciences
- Award: $20,00 ($5,000/year)
- Deadline: March 2, 2020
- Application: http://asianpacificfund.org/what-we-do/scholarships/apply-for-scholarship/#banatao
Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
- Description: The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation is the Nation’s oldest and largest provider of need-based scholarships to military families
- Award: Scholarship awards are $1,500, $2,500, $5,000, $7,500, or $10,000 per academic year
- Deadline: March 3, 2020
- Application: https://www.mcsf.org/apply/
Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Choir San Diego Scholarship
- Description: Multiple scholarship awards to high school seniors who will be majoring in the areas of visual and performing arts
- Award: $1,500 – $3,000
- Deadline: March 5, 2020
- Application: http://mlkccsd.org/grants.html
NAWIC Collegiate Scholarship
- Description: Male or female students pursuing any college degree, who has a parent currently employed in the San Diego construction industry and female students pursuing a college degree in a construction-related profession (Architecture, Engineering or Construction Management)
- Award: $1,000
- Deadline: March 6, 2020
- Application: https://www.futureconstructionleaders.org/nawic-annual-scholarship-program
North County Italian Association Scholarship
- Description: High school seniors residing in North County San Diego (north of CA Highway 56) and of at least 25% Italian ancestry are eligible to apply
- Award: $1,000
- Deadline: March 7, 2020
- Application: https://www.northcountyitalianassociation.org/scholarship-application
Italian Catholic Federation First Year Scholarship
- Description: Awards scholarships to high school students who are Roman Catholic and of Italian descent
- Award: $400; First-year scholarship winners are eligible for second, third, and fourth-year awards of $500, $600, and $1,000 respectively.
- Deadline: March 15, 2020
- Application: http://www.icf.org/scholarships/
Athena Pinnacle Scholarships
- Description: Five merit scholarships are available to San Diego County graduating high school women pursuing careers in the sciences including math, engineering and computer science
- Award: $2,500 or more
- Deadline: March 16, 2020
- Application: https://www.athenasd.org/pinnacle-scholarships
MyPoint Credit Union Scholarship
- Description: Awards a scholarship to high school seniors who are current members of MyPoint Credit Union (membership consists of a $5 application fee and opening deposit of $5)
- Award: $2,500
- Deadline: March 31, 2020
- Application: https://mypointcu.com/learn/articles/scholarship-program