Introduction and key strategies for students: Your classes will not be “live.” Instead, there will be regular virtual meeting times and extensive office hours to connect with your teachers (see the schedule below). Students will need to create their own daily work plan in order to complete the learning and assignments for each course.
- Time management will be important.
- When you have questions about directions, assignments, or concepts, it is necessary to quickly reach out to your teachers.
- Counselors, Learning Center teachers, and Academic Coaching teachers are available if you need extra support.
How Instruction and assessment will work: Teachers will upload lessons, activities, and assignments in Schoology at the start of the week. On the first day of posting, students should check carefully the schedule of due dates for assignments and plan accordingly. Video lectures, instructional videos, readings, and resources will contain the key learning. Students must be diligent in completing these in order to keep up with their course requirements.
- Course Updates: The first course updates will be Tuesday afternoon in preparation for March 18th, which will be the first day of online instruction. Schoology course updates will take place on Monday mornings in the following weeks.
- Assessments: Teachers will post expected due dates for assignments and assessments for the week. These due dates may include quizzes and tests; however, there will be no timed tests during this period of distance learning.
- Class Office Hours: At the start of the week, teachers will host a live office hour for each of their classes. These are listed as “Red 1 – Google Meet”, “Red 2 – Google Meet”, etc. on the schedule below. Google Meet will allow live screen sharing and face to face communication with the teacher. Teachers will post the link to join this group in Schoology. This is not necessarily time for direct instruction, but rather a chance for teachers to explain directions, clarify assignment guidelines, and for students to ask questions. Teachers may spend time covering a tough concept. Students should be familiar with the week’s activities prior to the Google Meet session. Attendance is not taken, but students are highly encouraged to join their class at this time.
- General Office Hours: When general office hours are listed, teachers will be available to answer emails, host Schoology forum Q&A sessions, etc. This is a chance for students to get questions answered before submissions are due.
- Special Class Meeting Times: If you are in a class that does not meet in the normal rotation of classes (ISPE, Catholic Faith for Options/Academy Mentors), check Schoology for your teacher’s posted office hours.
- Meeting and Video Submission Guidelines: Students should be in appropriate clothing when joining a Google Meet group or recording a video submission assessment. Students should not join a virtual class group or record a video from their bedroom, but should be seated at a table or desk. If joining a virtual class from a busy or public place, remember to use the mute function on Google Meet when not talking.
- Chat and Forums: If teachers set up chats and forums as a way to connect, please remember to be respectful and participate positively. Chats and forums generate transcripts; they will be moderated and are not anonymous.
- Tech Help and resources for online submissions
Counseling Help: During this time of distance learning, our CCHS Counseling team is available to support students via email, Google Meet and Google Chat. Counselor email contact information can be found HERE. Students and parents, please continue to check your @cchsdons email account and Class of 202* Schoology pages for more information regarding one-on-one course registration and college planning meetings, informational presentations and available resources.
Participation = “Attendance”: Although attendance will not be taken formally, students are expected to stay up to date and participate in each of their classes every week – submit assignments according to the timelines created by your teachers.
Dual Enrollment Information: MiraCosta is committed to teaching our Spring 2020 Dual Enrollment courses. Dual Enrollment Sociology 102 and Math 270 courses will also be moving to an online learning platform. These courses are expected to begin their online learning March 30, 2020. The professor will be in direct contact with students regarding course pacing and expectations. Please be sure to follow all instructions and complete all assignments as assigned. If you have questions about course expectations, please contact your MiraCosta professor directly. For students enrolled in Dual Enrollment History 110, Drama 232, Psych 114 your CCHS MiraCosta teacher will be contacting you directly with course expectations and pacing.
Schedule for Virtual Office Hours
|8:30-9:30||Late Start||General Office Hours and Check-ins||Red 1 – Google Meet||Gold 4 – Google Meet||Period 7 – Google Meet|
|10:00-11:00||General Office Hours and Check-ins||General Office Hours and Check-ins||Red 2 – Google Meet||Gold 5 – Google Meet||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
|12:30-1:30||General Office Hours and Check-ins||Lessons, materials, assignments are posted||Red 3 – Google Meet||Gold 6 – Google Meet||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
Week of 3/23/20:
|8:30-9:30||Day Off||Lessons, materials, assignments are posted||Red 1 – Google Meet||Gold 4 – Google Meet||Period 7 – Google Meet|
|10:00-11:00||Day Off||General Office Hours and Check-ins||Red 2 – Google Meet||Gold 5 – Google Meet||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
|12:30-1:30||Day Off||General Office Hours and Check-ins||Red 3 – Google Meet||Gold 6 – Google Meet||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
All other weeks:
|8:30-9:30||Lessons, materials, assignments are posted||Red 3 – Google Meet||Gold 6 – Google Meet||Late Start||Late Start|
|10:00-11:00||Red 1 – Google Meet||Gold 4 – Google Meet||Period 7||General Office Hours and Check-ins||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
|12:30-1:30||Red 2 – Google Meet||Gold 5 – Google Meet||General Office Hours and Check-ins||General Office Hours and Check-ins||General Office Hours and Check-ins|
Google Meet Times: A time for students to have video chats with their teachers during a specific time. Great for asking questions about difficult content or getting feedback about the workload.
General Office Hours and Check-ins: Teachers are available for you to have more personal check-ins (probably via email or Schoology discussion forums, depending on teacher preference).