2019 – 2020 Student Orientation Information
Sophomores not able to attend this orientation will be required to attend the make-up orientation day on August 19th and will miss some class time on the first day of classes.
These days are required for all freshmen. Freshmen report to the theater between 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. and will be dismissed at 2:20 p.m. Students should bring their iPads with them. Students may wear the regular school uniform or a CCHS T-shirt or polo shirt and solid blue/black jeans or khaki shorts. No other color jeans or shorts are acceptable.
Students will be able to purchase snacks and lunch from food services or they are able to bring their own snacks and lunch.
Freshmen ID and yearbook pictures will be taken on Wednesday, August 21st during school. All students must be groomed and dressed according to the dress-up day attire. Instead of a white shirt/blouse, a solid colored dress-up shirt/blouse may be worn for photos on this day only. Remember to bring your order form from TD School Portraits. (Check made payable to TD School Portraits).
- School hours during the summer: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Do not hesitate to contact us with questions at 858.523.4000.
- The school store will be open daily during the summer from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (the school store will be closed July 4th and 5th). During the week of August 12th, the store will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- School and college counselors will be back on campus and available the week of August 12th.
- Here is a link for the 2019-2020 school calendar.
- Here is a link for a copy of the 2019-2020 Student Handbook. All families are required to read the student handbook and acknowledge having done so in Aeries.
- As a component of Cathedral Catholic’s Alcohol and Drug Awareness Program, at least one parent/guardian must attend an annual meeting to explore and discuss the perceptions and realities of alcohol and drugs that are pertinent to Cathedral Catholic High School students. In partnership with the San Diego Police Department, Cathedral Catholic administrators will discuss ongoing concerns about alcohol abuse, increased access to marijuana, the vaping culture, prescription drug abuse and more. Students whose parents/guardians do not attend the meeting will not be eligible to attend or participate in any extracurricular activities, including athletics, at Cathedral Catholic High School (CCHS). Students whose parents/guardians were unable to attend a meeting before August 7th will be eligible to attend practices/tryouts at the beginning of August but will not be allowed to participate in any games/competitions until the requirement is met.
- Scheduled meetings:
- August 7, 2019: 6-7pm
- August 14, 2019: 6-7pm
- October 30, 2019: 6-7pm
- January 29, 2020: 8:30-9:30am
- Click here to RSVP
- Scheduled meetings:
- Cathedral Catholic High School will be fully implementing restorative discipline practices next school year. To learn more about this change, you are invited to attend a presentation along with a Q&A on August 7th from 9:00 a.m. – 10 a.m.
- All parents/guardians with an incoming freshman and/or transfer student are invited to a welcome liturgy and barbeque on August 19th starting at 5:30p.m. Look for an electronic invitation.
- Back-to-School Night is Thursday, August 29th at 7:00 p.m.
- Class of 2021 students still needing to swap their iPad: We are extending the deadline to swap your iPad until Friday, June 21st. The Tech Office is open from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. It is recommended that you make an appointment by e-mailing Mrs. Elliott (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- iPads for incoming freshmen & transfer students will be distributed just before school starts. You can view the schedule and sign up for a session at the following link https://goo.gl/bVurc6
- Apple ID: In order to receive a school issued iPad, every student needs to have a working Apple ID. An Apple ID is your unique account with Apple that allows you to download apps, books, movies and music (both free & purchased) from iTunes, the App Store, or iBooks. An Apple ID also includes an iCloud account which is the best mechanism for backing up and securing your iPad. If you already own an Apple device, you most likely have an existing Apple ID, and you are free to use that existing account with your school issued device. Students may use a parent’s existing Apple ID, or they can have their own unique Apple ID if preferred. You can create an Apple ID on Apple’s website via the URLs below:
- Create your Apple ID
- Apple Support doc with FAQs about an Apple ID:
- Creating an Apple ID does ask you to include your credit card information for downloading apps, songs, movies, etc. You do not have to include your credit card information if you are wary about sharing that information:
- Students will not be required to purchase content when receiving their iPad; however, they will have to purchase books and apps for their classes. Many of the purchases will happen through their Apple ID, but there are also purchases through other portals.
Health Office Information
For the 2019-2020 academic year, the Health Office will continue to utilize Aeries, via the parent portal system, in effort to streamline required medical documentation. This is where parents/guardians check permissions for the Health Office to dispense over-the-counter medications (such as Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen) during the school day, as well as verify ALL contact/emergency contact information is correct. We hope this will reduce duplicate documentation, while maintaining the most accurate and up-to-date contact information for the school.
Students requiring the administration of any prescription medication during the school day (including Epi-pens, Asthma Inhalers, and Insulin) musthave this form completed and signed by the student’s physician. If your student does not require medications, you do notneed to complete this form. All medication should be provided to the Health Office in the original prescription bottle. Students are not allowed to carry over-the-counter or prescription medications with them during the school day exceptfor Epi-pens, Asthma Inhalers, and Insulin. All other medications, prescription or over-the-counter, should be given to the Health Office.
Click here to print form: Medication Authorization Form
Sophomore students will be screened during the school day throughout the academic year. Parents/guardians will be notified via email of the results within 48 hours after testing. A consent form will be electronically sent to all sophomore parents/guardians in the fall.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school nurse, Kate Pe, at email@example.com over the summer.