How to Obtain an I-20

The experiences, knowledge, and differences represented by international students add diversity to the Cathedral Catholic High School campus. If you are considering Cathedral Catholic High School, review the admissions procedure below for international students. If you have questions, contact the Admissions Office.

International students must be issued an F-1 student visa before they arrive as a student in the United States. Cathedral Catholic High School is  an SEVP-certified school approved to issue an I-20. An I-20 allows international students to receive an F-1 visa to legally begin school in the United States. Please visit for additional information regarding studying in the United States.

Procedures for Obtaining an I-20

  • Cathedral Catholic High School must have a complete application before issuing an I-20.
  • Admissions international application fee of US $150.
  • Official acceptance from Cathedral Catholic High School.
  • Cathedral Catholic High School tuition + technology fee must be PAID IN FULL [some additional fees may be required based on student program and billed separately at a later date].
  • Submit a letter from your banking institution indicating you have sufficient funds to cover tuition for one year.
  • Provide an American address where student will be living.
  • Once Cathedral Catholic High School has the necessary documents, we will issue the student an I-20 through the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS).

Procedures for Obtaining an F-1 Visa

  • Read and understand your I-20 and your responsibilities as an international student in the United States.
  • Once you receive the I-20, you will go online to pay the SEVIS I-901 administrative fee, which must be paid three days prior to your embassy visit. The $100 fee can be paid with a credit card. Your payment receipt should be presented at the embassy when you take your I-20 to apply for your student visa.
  • Contact the United States Embassy or consulate and ask what documents are needed to obtain your student visa. You can visit the US Embassy website for your country to learn more about the documents needed. Getting an appointment with the US Embassy may take some time. Don’t delay in making this appointment.

Once you Have Your F-1 Visa (Traveling to the U.S.)

  • Keep your passport and I-20/F-1 visa with you at all times.
  • You are required to show your passport and I-20/F-1 visa to an Immigration officer.
  • The officer may stamp your visa and I-20.

Once You Arrive at Cathedral Catholic High School

  • Bring your passport and student visa to school and present to the Designated School Official (DSO).
  • The DSO will confirm your legal entry into the United States through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and SEVIS.
  • The DSO will need to make copies of all your legal documents: I-20, visa, and passport.
  • Cathedral Catholic High School recommends keeping all of your visa documents in a secure place.

Leaving the U.S. for Holidays or Travel

  • When an international student leaves the U.S., he/she must notify the Designated School Official (DSO).
  • The DSO will verify that the student has a continued I-20 and that the I-20 is signed in the 2nd page.
  • Students must travel with their legal documents.