The High School Placement Test (HSPT) is used for placement of incoming 9th grade students. Only 9th grade applicants for the 2019-2020 academic year are required to take the placement test.
The test is scheduled for Saturday, January 26, 2019. By submitting the admission application by January 26, 2019, applicants will be able to register for the test through the Ravenna portal. Applicants who apply to CCHS and take the test at CCHS are given priority consideration for admission and tuition assistance.
- Students are required to take the HSPT at the school they would most like to attend.
- If, after the January 26 test date, a family changes their mind regarding the school of choice, there is no need to retest. Schools will transfer test scores at a family’s request.
- Similarly, in order for a student’s application to be active at more than one school, families need to request scores to be transferred. In consultation with families, applications to the first school may or may not be considered withdrawn. In any case, a new application still must be completed at the new school of choice.
- This process is designed to streamline our admissions processes so prospective families can receive enrollment and financial aid information promptly.
Format of HSPT test will be:
- Verbal Skills – 18 minutes
- Quantitative Skills – 30 minutes
- Break – 5 minutes
- Reading – 25 minutes
- Mathematics – 45 minutes
- Language – 25 minutes
- Break- 5 minutes
- Mathematics Supplement – 30 minutes (The Mathematics Supplement for the HSPT will consist of an array of mathematical items to address pacing differentiations, including the following topics: linear equations, linear functions, systems of equations, factoring and solving quadratics)
Total Time: 183 minutes (3 hours, 3 minutes)
We ask that students arrive by 7:30 a.m. in the theater to check-in. The test is expected to end at approximately 11:15 a.m. This is the estimated time allotted for the testing sections. Actual test time may vary, depending on the timing of each testing group- time for reading instructions, distributing and collecting materials, etc.
Please note: If applicants require additional testing time, learning documentation must be submitted along with the admission application no later than January 11, 2019. Learning documentation must be either an IEP or private, formal psycho-educational evaluation indicating an intellectual testing component, as well as an academic component and diagnosis and report, issued by a licensed psycho-educational specialist. Please note that 504 plans do not qualify.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. My student is sick/unable to test today. What do I do?
We do not currently have a makeup test scheduled for the High School Placement Test (HSPT). Families are encouraged to reach out to the Admissions Office after the 20th for updates regarding possible make up exam dates.
2. Are calculators allowed for the math portion?
No, calculators are not permitted for any of the math portions.
3. What time will my student be done?
Students are expected to finish the exam at approximately 11:30 a.m.
4. What happens when they’re done? Where do I meet my student?
We will have refreshments for students after the test. You will be able to meet your students by the main gate.
5. What is the next step in the admissions process?
Students who have completed an application will be able to schedule an interview through the Ravenna portal beginning December 17, 2018.
Interviews will be held on February 6th and 9th, by appointment.
Interviews are for prospective students only, and last approximately 10-15 minutes. These interviews are a one-on-one opportunity for a faculty member or administrator to get to know each student. Interviews are only able to be scheduled for those students who have submitted a complete application through the Ravenna portal.
If you need to reschedule your appointment time, you may do so, through the Ravenna portal, up to 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment.
6. What about transcripts and recommendations?
You will be able to request transcripts and recommendations from your current school through the Ravenna portal.
7. When will we find out if our student is accepted?
Decision letters will be sent out no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2019. Students who receive a scholarship for scoring in the 99th percentile will receive an early decision letter, typically during the third week of February.